When it comes to airports, size does matter. King Fahd Airport in Dammam, Saudi Arabia is the world's biggest airport by size and covers an impressive 776 square kilometers of land. The construction of this massive airport began in 1983 and was completed on November 28, 1999. Now let’s take a look at the largest and busiest airports in the world in 2023.
1. King Fahd Airport: World's Biggest by Size
King Fahd Airport is located in Dammam, Saudi Arabia and covers an impressive 776 square kilometers of land. It has 3 terminals and 4 runways and its construction began in 1983 and was completed on November 28, 1999. The airport building sits on 36.8 square kilometers of land.
What Is The Largest Airport In The World?
2. The 10 Largest Airports by Area
The following are the top ten largest airports in terms of area (in square miles):
Which Is Biggest Airport In The World?
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW): 75MM Passengers/Year – 32.38 sq km
- Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG): 76MM Passengers/Year – 32.38 sq km
- Tokyo Haneda Airport (HND): 85MM Passengers/Year – 30.14 sq km
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX): 87MM Passengers/Year – 25.56 sq km
- O’Hare International Airport (ORD): 83MM Passengers/Year – 24.89 sq km
- Denver International Airport (DEN): 68MM Passengers/Year – 23.46 sq km
- Istanbul Atatürk Airport (IST): 74MM Passengers/Year – 21.36 sq km
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK): 62MM Passengers/Year – 19.43 sq km
- Frankfurt Airport (FRA): 64MM Passengers/Year – 18.58 sq km
- Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK): 94MM Passengers/Year – 17.44 sq km
3. Defining "Largest" Airport
When defining “largest” airport, different criteria can be used. For example, some people may define “largest” as the most physical space covered, while others may define “largest” as the most passengers or total volume (number of flights). In order to give a comprehensive overview, this article will unpack the world's largest airport three different ways.
What Is The Biggest Airport In The World?
4. Top 10 Largest Airports in the World
The following are the top ten largest airports in the world based on their respective categories:
- Physical Size: King Fahd Airport (DMM) – 776 sq km
- Number of Passengers: Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) – 107 million passengers per year
- Total Volume (Number of Flights): Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) – 881,933 flights per year