Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (CSIA) is the second busiest airport in India, located in Mumbai and serving the Mumbai Metropolitan Region. It has three terminals for domestic flights, international flights, and cargo services respectively, while also providing several other facilities such as parking, local transport, maps, car rentals etc. This article provides an overview of CSIA Airport, flight status information, local transport and maps, and challenges faced during its expansion project.
Overview of CSIA Airport
- CSIA handles over 7 million passengers annually.
- It serves both domestic and international destinations.
- The airport operates with three terminals – Terminal 1 for domestic flights, Terminal 2 for international flights, and Terminal 3 for cargo services.
- Other facilities include parking, local transport, maps, car rentals, and more.
Flight Status Information
- Passengers can check their flight status online or through mobile applications.
- Real-time updates on arrival/departure time, delay/cancellation are available.
- Information regarding baggage claim and rebooking options are also available.
Local Transport and Maps
- The airport is conveniently accessible by road and rail network.
- Maps featuring nearby restaurants, hotels, ATMs, shops, pharmacies, and bus stops are available.
- Taxi and cab services are available from the airport to the city.
Expansion Project Challenges
- Increasing passenger traffic necessitated the need for expansion of the existing terminal.
- The site was surrounded by informal settlements, making it difficult to expand.
- Overflowing Mithi River posed a challenge to the construction process.
- Construction of a new runway had to be carried out without disrupting air traffic.
- Environmental concerns were taken into account while planning the expansion.